Many people ask their dentists about getting dentures, seeking advice on the best way to address their personal needs. As you weigh your options, it can be helpful to consult with your specialist about the pros and cons of dentures.
Dentures are not for everyone, but there are certainly some advantages, such as the following:
- Dentures can be a great choice for those suffering from severe, chronic pain from their natural teeth.
- Those with broken or damaged teeth due to decay or injury, and who feel uncomfortable with their physical appearance, can benefit significantly from having beautiful, natural-looking dentures. Gone are the days when they made dentures from wood! Today’s dentures are usually made from porcelain or modern plastics, and can be crafted to look just like your natural teeth.
- If you are missing teeth it can lead to long-term negative consequences. Due to a missing tooth, the surrounding teeth can shift towards the empty space to fill the gap; these teeth, in turn, may sag inward, causing problems with chewing. Dentures can be a simple solution to this issue
- Dentures these days are designed for maximum comfort.
- For those who are intimidated by veneers or crowns, dentures can be a great choice for those who prefer a solution that is less invasive.
- Dentures are cost-effective, and can be an excellent option for patients who prefer a solution that won’t strain the budget.
However, there are some disadvantages to dentures, which you should also consider in consultation with your dentist:
- With dentures, the force of your bite will be significantly reduced, compared to what you would have with your natural teeth.
- With upper dentures, you will find it more difficult to taste your food, as your upper palate will be covered by the dentures.
If you are interested in discussing your options, feel free to set up an appointment with AmeriDental of Upper Darby at 484-971-6351. Our team of specialists will make sure that you have the best expert guidance in looking at all denture options available.